Documenting surprising sightings, fascinating findings, & exciting encounters, with birds, wildlife, & other nature,
around Hemel Hempstead...

Explore & find out more about wildlife in this West Hertfordshire town. To return to the full homepage just click the banner above...

NEW SOCIAL MEDIA, & BLOG COMING SOON


Regular visitors will have noticed a decrease in posts to the HEMEL NATURE
blog - this is because I have been living & working out of the area, & due to the job my time out
& about with nature in Hemel is limited. I am working on a new blog to come soon & hope that the work that has gone into HEMEL NATURE will prove useful & interesting to those still visiting it.


In the mean time you can follow me at my new accounts on the following social media platforms...

Instagram @DanFWildlife > https://www.Instagram.com/DanFWildlife

Twitter @DanFWildlife > https://Twitter.com/DanFWildlife

Facebook I am still building on but you can still follow me none-the-less
by 'Likeing' the @DanFWildlife Page > https://www.Facebook.com/DanFWildlife

Many thanks for your support,

Dan.

Wednesday 16 April 2014

HEMEL MEGA: 2 WHITE WAGTAILS, Male YELLOW WAGTAIL, 2 SWALLOWS, 2 (Pair) LAPWINGS & MEADOW PIPIT at Water End.


Had a good quick visit to Nettleden Road at Water End this morning before work.


Starting at the horse paddock at the W end of Nettleden Road...

2 WHITE WAGTAILS joined the usual 3 PIED WAGTAILS in the paddock. Like Monday's bird [> HERE <] they flew in, fed for a bit, then carried on their journey NW together. Though rarely seen around the Hemel area & what I would consider a local MEGA, I think in reality they are probably often overlooked, the areas they seem to like are under-watched, & they seem to be a bird I only see if I go to a spot where I think the habitat is good at the right time of year (such as ploughed fields or horse paddocks - this area has both side by side) & sit & wait until they come through, stopping to feed for a while, before moving on minutes later.

A stunning Male YELLOW WAGTAIL flew around the paddock a few times but I couldn't find it once landed, though could hear it a few times. Later seen flying to fields on other side of road. When I first arrived I also saw a Yellow Wag up high mobbing a BUZZARD up with a RED KITE over these fields (the Rape field & cerial(?) field below Highpark Wood) which I think was the same bird.

An interesting lone SWALLOW Species flying strongly ESE which both sounded & appeared similar to Red-rumped Swallow, though I was looking directly into the sun so I'm not sure what it was.

2 (Pair) LAPWINGS were in the paddock, though later relocating to the flood meadow.

At least 1 LINNET & 1 YELLOWHAMMER about as well as the regular scattering of SKYLARKS.

A GREEN WOODPECKER called from Heizdin's Wood.


...then at the horse paddock at the E end of Nettleden Road...

2 SWALLOWS were feeding & often visiting the wooden shed for up to a minute at a time.

A MEADOW PIPIT with a particularly pronounced supercilium, especially behind the eye, kept popping up along the wire fence.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment for VELORAPTOR which will be viewable on this blog...