Documenting surprising sightings, fascinating findings, & exciting encounters, with birds, wildlife, & other nature,
around Hemel Hempstead...

Explore & find out more about wildlife in this West Hertfordshire town. To return to the full homepage just click the banner above...

NEW SOCIAL MEDIA, & BLOG COMING SOON


Regular visitors will have noticed a decrease in posts to the HEMEL NATURE
blog - this is because I have been living & working out of the area, & due to the job my time out
& about with nature in Hemel is limited. I am working on a new blog to come soon & hope that the work that has gone into HEMEL NATURE will prove useful & interesting to those still visiting it.


In the mean time you can follow me at my new accounts on the following social media platforms...

Instagram @DanFWildlife > https://www.Instagram.com/DanFWildlife

Twitter @DanFWildlife > https://Twitter.com/DanFWildlife

Facebook I am still building on but you can still follow me none-the-less
by 'Likeing' the @DanFWildlife Page > https://www.Facebook.com/DanFWildlife

Many thanks for your support,

Dan.

Monday 2 January 2012

Leisurely Hemel year listing adds an easy PEREGRINE

Whilst cleaning the car this morning (the afternoon for eveyone else) at Baylie Lane, Highfield I added the following to my 2012 Hemel Year List...

8) ROBIN
9) HOUSE SPARROW
10) COLLARED DOVE
11) SPARROWHAWK - Male over mobbed by BH.Gull & C.Crow
Then, whilst on an evening cycle to get some fresh air & start the post Christmas detox I added...

12) GOLDFINCH - Boxmoor nr. K2
13) MAGPIE - Boxmoor nr. K2
14) STARLING - Boxmoor nr. K2
15) WREN - Boxmoor nr. K2
16) GREENFINCH - Boxmoor nr. K2
17) MISTLE THRUSH - Boxmoor nr. K2
18) MUTE SWAN - Canal b/w Apsley & Bennetts End
19) BLACKBIRD - Canal nr. Kings Langley Fishery
20) FIELDFARE - Canal nr. Kings Langley Fishery
21) GREY HERON - Kings Langley Fishery
22) TUFTED DUCK - c.10, Kings Langley Fishery
23) COOT - Kings Langley Fishery
24) BLUE TIT - Canal nr. Kings Langley Fishery
25) CHAFFINCH - Canal nr. Kings Langley Fishery
26) JAY - New Plantation
27) JACKDAW - Abbots Hill / New Plantation
28) SONG THRUSH - Abbots Hill / New Plantation
29) REDWING - many going to roost, Abbots Hill / New Plantation
30) LONG-TAILED TIT - Abbots Hill / New Plantation
31) GREAT SPOTTED WOODPECKER - Abbots Hill / New Plantation
32) DUNNOCK - Abbots Hill / New Plantation
33) BULLFINCH - c.2, Abbots Hill / New Plantation

Notable were the numbers of REDWINGS & FIELDFARES going to roost around Abbots Hill / New Plantation, tens & tens likely to of amounted to c.40 of each.
Whilst stopping off at my office in Corner Hall on the way back I managed to kick off my 2012 Work List after dark by adding a REDWING that I heard go over.

Then I made a little extra effort for the year list to add...

34) PEREGRINE - the usual Ringed Adult Female roosting on the BT building near the 'Magic' or Plough Roundabout, Town Center, 17.55

Shortly after I saw the usual c.50cm PIKE in its favoured spot below the weir at The Water Gardens near Bank Court.

On my way out to dinner I saw a small RED FOX run across Catsdell, Highfield, most likely the very vocal one of recent. And again, later on, I heard it uttering its five bark call over & over well into the night around Baylie Lane, which I had also heard very early in the morning too. Occasionally if I listen I can hear another Fox at distance responding to the call with its own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment for VELORAPTOR which will be viewable on this blog...