Documenting surprising sightings, fascinating findings, & exciting encounters, with birds, wildlife, & other nature,
around Hemel Hempstead...

Explore & find out more about wildlife in this West Hertfordshire town. To return to the full homepage just click the banner above...

NEW SOCIAL MEDIA, & BLOG COMING SOON


Regular visitors will have noticed a decrease in posts to the HEMEL NATURE
blog - this is because I have been living & working out of the area, & due to the job my time out
& about with nature in Hemel is limited. I am working on a new blog to come soon & hope that the work that has gone into HEMEL NATURE will prove useful & interesting to those still visiting it.


In the mean time you can follow me at my new accounts on the following social media platforms...

Instagram @DanFWildlife > https://www.Instagram.com/DanFWildlife

Twitter @DanFWildlife > https://Twitter.com/DanFWildlife

Facebook I am still building on but you can still follow me none-the-less
by 'Likeing' the @DanFWildlife Page > https://www.Facebook.com/DanFWildlife

Many thanks for your support,

Dan.

Wednesday 25 January 2012

HEMEL MEGA: 3 GOOSANDERS over Two Waters!


At work at Corner Hall offices today...

LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL - 1 wandering around AM.
SISKIN - 1 calling 9.50.
3 GOOSANDERS! - I was getting some fresh air & resting my eyes from the computer whilst stood beside the canal at B&Q when I noticed the refection on the surface of 3 largish water birds flying high in a close group. As I looked up I quickly realised these weren't Mallards, or Cormorants, but 3 Goosanders, too high against the white sky to sex but otherwise unmistakable. They were flying in close formation E at 14.30, seemingly following the canal, & for a few moments hesitating as if wanting to land, possibly at Durrant's Hill Fishery (Two Waters / Apsley) but instead continued on out of sight. I was thinking that they could alight at Kings Langley Fishery or the neighbouring Gaywood's Fishery as they were heading that way when five mins later they returned, still following the canal but now heading W, still occasionally looking like coming down to land but ultimately carrying on out of sight once more. Maybe they found Westbrook Mere Fishery or Pixies Mere Fishery (Chaulden / Bourne End)? If I wasn't so busy at work I'd have gone to have a look, but either way I'm happy to have added Goodander to my Hemel Life List, especially after missing the Female that Colin Everett found at Kings Langley Fishery in Dec.'10, the only other record I know of, in fact I think I can count this as a Hemel MEGA!

At The Magic Roundabout...

PEREGRINE - the Ringed Adult Female was on her roost on the BT building when I passed on my way home at 18.20. I hadn't seen her for a while & considered the possibility that she had left the winter roost early as the weather has been so mild recently, but clearly not.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment for VELORAPTOR which will be viewable on this blog...